September/October 2001 Feingold Email Newsletter
Dear Feingold Association Members & Friends,
 Upcoming Taylor Seminars
 How to Help Your Child Understand Sept. 11
 Light a Candle
 Pictures of Support From Around the World
 Coloring Info Added to WebSite
 Petition to Ban Tartrazine (FD&C Yellow No.5)
 New Password for Members
 International News
 Holiday Help
 Pumpkin Info & Recipes
 Donuts -- the easy way
 UPCOMING TAYLOR SEMINARS
Dr. John Taylor, who will be a featured speaker also at our Conference in October, has seminars scheduled around the country:
"Mega Answers to ADHD"
"Mega Answers to ODD"
- October 23 - Stockton, CA
- October 26 & 27 Seattle, WA
See more information or call (800) 847-1233
- November 03 - Saskatoon, Sask, Canada
 HOW TO HELP YOUR CHILD UNDERSTAND SEPT. 11
What happened Sept. 11 surpasses our own understanding. It is a day that will stay with us forever. Nevertheless, we must somehow help our children cope with their own feelings of fear, helplessness, and anger.
I will pass on to you some ideas sent to me.
- Just like adults, children fear what they have no control over. It may help them to find something that they CAN do.
- Even a young child can give a donation to the Red Cross, either from their allowance, or perhaps as part of the family. Children over 17 can actually donate blood as well if they wish. You can get the information at www.redcross.org
- Light a candle on the website listed in the next section.
- Share with your children the pictures of people supporting America around the world, at the website listed in the section after next. Preview these pictures to make sure that they are appropriate for your child's age and temperament.
- Listen carefully to your children, without judging them. Remember that this is the very first experience most of them have had with war and disaster. One of our members noticed her grandson, age 7, was tensely watching the news reports that aired the attack footage over and over. She suddenly realized that as he saw each replay, he believed that it was a new attack and that our buildings all over the country were being attacked by planes. Help your child with reality by finding out what they think happened. And be prepared NOT to laugh at them in case they are off the mark. Be gentle with them. Assure them that you will take care of them.
- The "How Stuff Works" website has a collection of articles that may help you explain September 11 to your children, or may help you understand it yourself. See the list.
 LIGHT A CANDLE
Go to the website [link no longer active - 3/9/08] and light a candle to show your support for the victims. Help your young children and encourage your older children to also light a candle. Let them put their name and any message that they wish on their candle. I found it quite therapeutic.
One word of warning, however: preview the site before letting your children see it, to prevent the occasional hateful or inappropriate message from disturbing them.
While you are on that website, visit its parent website as well, at http://184.108.40.206 which seems to have good information both for home schooling and homework help. They provide free online study tools.
 PICTURES OF SUPPORT FROM AROUND THE WORLD
This is a beautiful and moving tribute to the response of people around the world. It shows us beyond anything else that we are not alone. http://thankyou.fast-networks.net
 COLORING INFO ADDED TO WEBSITE
Take another look at http://www.feingold.org/Research/color.html
We have added
- FDA Color Additives Fact Sheet
(What they want you to know)
- Was the New Henhouse Designed by the Fox?
(What the FDA does not want you to think about)
- How Much Do We Use?
(FDA Color Certification Reports )
- Two Encyclopaedia Britannica articles about Sulfonimides and how they are made from Prontosil, a red dye
 PETITION TO BAN TARTRAZINE (FD&C YELLOW No.5)
(You should have received this also as a special email. To update you, the author of the petition has been informed that it is undergoing medical review at this time. If you have not yet sent your email to FDA, please do it now.)
Tartrazine (Yellow No. 5) is only one of the chemicals eliminated by the Feingold Diet, but it has been the most heavily studied of all the additives, and has been implicated as a trigger both for ADHD and asthma, although this is denied by the FDA and other sources.
There is currently a petition at the FDA to have Tartrazine BANNED in the USA! If you have had any experiences with artificial colorings in general (that would include Tartrazine of course) or if you have an opinion about whether Tartrazine should be banned, please email your comments and experiences to the US government (no matter what country you live in!) Send your email to:
In the subject of your email write:
Docket #01P-0345, Delist Yellow #5
Make sure you include your name and address in your email.
This is time sensitive -- you only have until October 13th
For more information about this petition and the person originating it, go to http://tartrazine.tripod.com
You can see more about artificial colorings and what they contain at http://www.feingold.org/Research/color.html
You can see what the FDA would like you to know about the artificial colorings at http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-221.html
 NEW PASSWORD
U.S. Members: There was a new password in a recent issue of Pure Facts. Both old and new passwords worked during September, but the old one has now been deleted. If you find yourself locked out of the Members Section, that may mean you have forgotten to renew your Pure Facts.
You can do it now at the Members Section (the renewal and order form does not need a password, of course).
International members: There is no change in your password for the International Members Section at this time.
If you are not familiar with Pure Facts, you can read a sample issue and see some past articles.
 INTERNATIONAL NEWS
Even though the International Section of our website has only been operational for a few months, we already have over 400 members.
 HOLIDAY HELP
I am sending you to previous newsletters for great ideas for the holidays. Find ideas for Halloween at http://feingold.org/enews-10-2000.html. Find recipes for Thanksgiving at http://feingold.org/enews-11-1999.html and http://feingold.org/11-98.html
The old newsletters are not (yet) set up so you can print the individual recipes, for which I apologize, but you can select the recipe and paste it into a word processing document to print it.
 PUMPKIN INFO & RECIPES
To get pumpkin puree, you can: (1) Open a can of pure pumpkin puree (2) Buy a pumpkin and go to http://allrecipes.com/cb/kh/bread/pumpkin
Cans of puree often have recipes on them. You can also find some good pumpkin and squash pie & bread recipes at
Remember, however, that you are not in a Feingold website, so watch for any ingredients that are not on the Feingold Foodlist, and for cloves or spice mixes that may contain cloves (a salicylate) if you or your child is on Feingold Stage One. Pumpkin pie without cloves is good too, and in fact several recipes don't even call for it.
 DONUTS -- THE EASY WAY
Open a can of Grands! Buttermilk Biscuits (there are many varieties of these Grands! biscuits -- but this is the ONLY one that we have been able to list so far, so be careful which one you pick up).
Flatten the biscuit dough a little and cut out a circle from the center with a cookie cutter, a donut cutter, or just a small size glass.
Heat any acceptable oil in a sauce pan and fry the donut and the hole until brown and puffed on the bottom. Turn and fry until the second side is brown.
Drain on a rack or paper towel, and sprinkle with some confectioners sugar using a little strainer to hold and sprinkle the sugar.