Feingold E-Mail Newsletter Supplement - October 2000
Dental management of the child with developmental dyslexia.
Friedlander AH, Friedlander IK, Yagiela J, Eth S, ASDC J Dent Child 1994 Jan-Feb;61(1):39-45
Hospital Dental Service, UCLA Medical Center.
- Schedule appointments in the morning.
- Avoid interaction between local anesthesia and medication for ADHD.
- Avoid aspirin-type medicines and anesthetics with sulfites for children with asthma.
- Treat children with uncontrolled hyperthyroidism only in hospital.
- Children with hypothyroidism may be hyper-responsive to anesthesia.
- Use short appointments for children with inflammatory bowel disease
- Use nitrous oxide sedation for these children to reduce stress.
- Avoid an adrenal crisis for children on steroid therapy during the past year.