Homemade Bunny Peeps
1 packet (2 1/2 tsp) unflavored gelatin
1/3 cup + 1/4 cup cold water
1 cup sugar
natural food coloring cocoa powder and water
1) Lightly coat a silicone mold or small pan with non-stick spray.
2) In a small saucepan, combine 1/3 cup cold water and sugar. Whisk together over medium heat. Once sugar is dissolved, stop stirring and cook until mixture reaches softball stage (between 235-240 F)
3) While sugar mixture is boiling, sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup cold water in a large, deep heat-proof bowl (a standing mixer bowl is perfect for this). Let stand for about 1 minute, until it softens.
4) Once the syrup reaches softball stage, remove from heat. Turn mixer on low and carefully pour hot syrup into gelatin, avoiding the beaters and sides of the bowl. Increase to medium-high speed and beat for 8-10 minutes, until mixture thickens, turns white and can hold soft peaks. Immediately and quickly spoon into prepared mold or pan (the mixture will set quickly so don’t wait long).
5) If you used a pan, cut desired shapes out of marshmallow with lightly greased cookie cutters. If you used a mold, wait a few minutes and then pop them out of the mold.
6) Drop marshmallows onto a plate covered with colored sugar and move them around to coat each side.
7) To make eyes and nose, sprinkle some cocoa powder on a clean plate. Dip a toothpick in water and then dip wet tip into cocoa. Dab dots onto sugar-covered marshmallows.